Sunday, January 14, 2018

Growth Mindset



Growth Mindset Memes Blog
I have never heard of Carol Dweck or the growth mindset before. I first learned about it from your assignment. I will say however that what she said in her first video hit very close to home as I have experienced my classmates acting like that. I went to a “special” high school where you had to take a test to get in and everyone thought you were smart if you were in that school. The teachers would constantly praise us for the smallest things and constantly put down the kids at other schools where they did not have to take a test to get in. We were told that we were better than other kids and what we learned was way harder than what the regular kids learned.

What Carol said about kids being more focused on the A rather than learning was very true. A great deal of my classmates would rather cheat and get an A than actually learn the material if it meant they did not get that coveted A. There was also this mindset at my school that you were the smartest if you did not study for tests. There would always be this conversation after a test where people would say they did not study at all in order to seem smart. I found this topic very interesting and it makes me wonder if my classmates and I would have performed better if we were not given as much praise as we were and instead were told to focus and enjoy hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment